Though the Playa Vista project will provide impressive numbers of career oriented employment opportunities, the need is much greater than can be filled by a single project. Recognizing the need for an increase in meaningful employment opportunities for this often overlooked population, PVJOBS advocates for expansion of employment opportunities through local and at-risk goals and mandates on major projects and with agencies/entities that have oversight of major projects. In this way we create a pool of opportunities rather than a single opportunity as in traditional job development methodologies. We have had some success in our advocacy efforts:
- Playa Vista - Advocated and secured a 10% set-aside for at-risk in all construction (currently at 13.7%). Coordinating all at-risk placement and compliance data gathering and reporting of the at-risk requirement. Playa Vista is the largest mixed-use infill development west of the Mississippi.
- Los Angeles Department of Public Works - Advocated for and secured a 10% set-aside in the Project Labor Agreement (PLA) for the at-risk in a new sewer system installed in Los Angeles (a 27-mile underground tunneling project). Formerly contracted to assist in outreach, referrals and compliance for this project.
- Los Angeles Community College District - Advocated for and secured a 6% set-aside for the at-risk in the $5.7 billion Proposition A, AA & J Bonds campus improvement construction projects occurring on all nine campuses. Currently contracted to assist in outreach and coordination of activities to achieve the 6% at-risk and 30% local construction hiring goals. Also contracted by the LACCD to design, develop and implement a District-wide student internship program. PVJOBS has established an online registration system and filled over 1100 professional internships for construction-related business. PVJOBS also designed and runs an architecture studio (to provide graphics and GIS products to the District).
- Trammell Crow Company - Advocated for and secured a 10% set-aside for the at-risk on the Century City project "2000 Avenue of the Stars" (a twin 15-story commercial high rise to replace the Shubert Theater). PVJOBS is coordinating at-risk placement and compliance.
- Port of Los Angeles - Advocated for and secured a 5% set-aside in the PLA for a $300 million terminal expansion project. Assisted in outreach.
- CRA/LA Wiggins Projects - Contracted by the Community Redevelopment Agency of Los Angeles to assist in outreach and local construction hiring on several projects in the Downtown Los Angeles area.
- CRA/LA Misc. Projects - Contracted by many individual projects of which the CRA/LA has an interest, assisting in outreach and referrals to contractors working on the project.
There are several other major projects with which PVJOBS is currently negotiating. PVJOBS has existing relationships with many builders and contractors.